These are some answers to the recent reader’s questions regarding the health benefits and harm of using ultraviolet (UV) light. The benefits are:
- Reduction of cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Increase of the efficiency of the heart and sex hormones.
- Improvement of electrocardiogram reading and blood profiles.
- Assistance in weight loss.
- An effective treatment of psoriasis, tuberculosis, asthma and other diseases.
- Activation of synthesis of vitamin D and skin hormones.
The harmful effects of using ultraviolet (UV) light are really restricted only to the amount. We really should have a recommended daily allowance (RDA) for UV light just like any other vitamin. At least one hour outside is fine, avoid direct exposure between 10am and 2pm. Never look directly into the sun as this can damage your eyes.
Using indoor UV light does no provide the complete spectrum of light and lacks important frequencies and can cause various problems. Indoor UV light also emits mercury vapor which causes food allergies.
Source: Dinshah (1996). Let There Be Light: Practical Manual for Spectro-Chrome Therapy.